Wednesday 12 November 2014

ME and Dr Khot

Up until today I felt like I had a good doctor that was very honest with me and caring. That feeling changed this afternoon completely and I'm quite annoyed with him.

Jack took me to my appointment today. Two reasons were behind that. One was the fact that Jack is a very eloquent speaker and secondly, Jack sees me nearly everyday and sees how my condition effects me, both physically and mentally.

My doctor greeted me by saying rather accusingly, "Why are you in a wheelchair?" I was a bit taken aback by this. I use my electric or manual wheelchair nearly, if not every day now. He does know this fact. Straightaway I felt like I was being accused, scrutinised, disbelieved. Dr Khot wanted to know exactly what was causing me to be in the chair.. I gave him the same answer as I always do; the combination of the massive amounts of fatigue and pain I felt today, caused my legs to say "No can do!" and therefore it was definitely a chair day. 

Dr Khot then allowed Jack to speak. (He had told Jack he didn't want to hear from him at the beginning, he wanted me to explain first of all.) Jack asked why after 3 years and 3 months why I haven't got an official diagnosis of ME, when I so clearly have ME and consultants have told me this also. I know I have ME and don't particularly want an official diagnosis in order to get treatment.. Lets be honest, there isn't any treatment. But I would like one in order to make my DLA/ PIP/ ESA/ Atos stuff sooooo much easier. I am currently waiting for a decision back from the latest DLA form regarding my change of circumstances, ie, I've got worse, and I'm so worried that my doctor isn't going to support me in the form, because he just doesn't understand ME and doesn't listen to me when I tell him how bad I am and how much worse I feel I am getting. If my doctor doesn't support me then I will have to appeal and cross that bridge when/ if I come to it. 

I asked my doctor about the report that DLA have requested from him, and he honestly, walked out the room and kind of waved his arms in the air. DLA is a lifeline to me. He clearly does not understand that/ doesn't care. 

During the consultation, Jack told the doctor about my very low moods, which my doctor totally ignored. I couldn't believe he didn't even stop to ask me about this. Low mood or depression may be a normal part of chronic illness, however it still needs to be addressed and talked about. 

Overall, I am extremely dissatisfied and will be seeking a new doctor that actually shows some compassion and that actually wants to help me, not just palm me off. 

Rant over! 

Hope you are all having a happy Wednesday,

Take Care,

Rach xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment