Sunday 23 February 2014

My Dear Grandad

I've always loved my Grandad obviously but up until recently we never really had a good bond. I saw him at family birthdays and get togethers (which works out about 1.5 a month!) and we have always got along but I'd never had a special relationship with him. 

When I was younger I used to see my Nanny and Grandad pretty much everyday. My Nanny was my world. I absolutely adored her. As far as I was concerned she was the best thing since sliced bread and although she's sadly passed away now, I still think the same. Therefore, when spending time with my Grandparents, I was stuck to my Nan's side and didn't really spend any time with my Grandad, only to repeat phrases such as "sod it" and "crumbs", two classic Grandad sayings. My Nan couldn't help but laugh whilst telling off Grandad for saying "sod" in front of me. 

You probably know that I truly believe that "everything happens for a reason." I have not worked out the reason for me having ME/CFS yet, but maybe it is to allow me to spend increased time with my Grandad and develop our relationship. As I am not working I am now able to spend a few hours with my Grandad a week, and this has very much become something I look forward to. I often go round to his house after I have had a HBO session and have a little bit more energy than usual. I love him but he can be hard work! Usually we just chat and have a cup of tea but sometimes he can be very grumpy (but can't we all when we are tired and hurting?!) and demanding.

If I was still healthy and working I know that we wouldn't have this great bond we now have, due to the amount of hours I was spending in the gymnasium and fitness gym. Therefore, I am actually thankful to ME/CFS for giving me this opportunity to spend precious time with him. 

I didn't think I would ever be thankful to ME/CFS but in this situation I certainly am.

I can now say I adore my Grandad as well as my Nanny. 

Take care,

Rachel x


No comments:

Post a Comment