Sunday 16 February 2014

Live In The Moment

Last night my Nan had a party to celebrate her 77th birthday so I was out for a few hours with my family, having a drink and eating lots of food and cake! It was lovely to have a get together and see the family I don't regularly see!

A large part of my life at the moment, is television. I record a lot of programmes, and this gives me something to do when I just can't handle watching This Morning or Loose Women anymore! Therefore, last night I had a few things set to record and I caught up with them this afternoon! One of these programmes was The Jonathan Ross Show. If you watched the  show last night you will know that Abbey Clancy, James Cordon, Uma Thurman and Andrew Marr were on the show. I often fast forward when a person comes on that I'm not interested in and was ready to fast forward when Andrew Marr came on. I then saw his walking stick and was suddenly interested in what he was going to say. That sounds a bit sick, but last I knew he was a healthy man so was intrigued to know why he now walked with a stick! 

If, like me, you don't know what happen to him, he had a stroke. He believes it was the result of pushing himself so hard on the rowing machine to achieve a target he had set himself. He felt good for achieving the goal but knew something wasn't right. He had a "blinding" headache and was seeing flashes of light that evening. He woke up the next morning and couldn't move. He'd had a stroke. 

Anyway, on the show Andrew Marr spoke about how he has re connected with a hobby he had when he was a young child, drawing. He carries a notepad around everywhere with him and draws what he sees and things that inspire him and spark emotion in him, instead of writing these things down. 

He also talks about trying to live in the moment as much as he can. I think both you and I can take something from this. You never know what's going to happen, what's around the corner. 

I feel that Andrew Marr's and my story are similar in ways.. Both of our illnesses are most probably connected to exercise, although neither can be certain. Both him and I can not, for the time being, do something we love - exercise! Both him and I have had to find things that we can do whilst being poorly, his is drawing and mine is reading. 

However, I definitely need to take his advice and try to live in the moment! 

He inspired me and spoke some wise words.

Take care and try and live in the moment as much as possible,

Rachel x


No comments:

Post a Comment